Sightseeing Hotel Breaks in Connemara
Set between the Atlantic Ocean, 12 Ben Mountains and preserved boglands, lies the town of Clifden on the Coast of Connemara. Peruse the many shopping choices in Clifden from sweater shops, quality gift shops, boutiques to antique and souvenir shops. The town has many hostelries for you to sample before returning to Cashel House; from the genuine ‘quaint-Irish’ to the more trendy you are sure to find something to suit your taste.
Other points of interest include:
Marconi Telegraph Station: Opened in 1907. This was the first fixed point-to-point telegraph station ever built and employed over 800 people until it was closed when attacked during the Civil War in 1922.
Alcock & Brown Monument: On June 15th 1919 John Alcock and Arthur Whitten-Brown flew 1900 miles from Newfound land in a Vickers Vimy biplane. It took them just over 16 hours when they crash-landed in Derrygimlagh bog close to the Marconi station. There is now a tail-fin shaped monument on the Errislannan peninsula pointing down to the exact spot in the bog where the plane landed.
One of Ireland’s most beautiful islands, Inishbofin Island lies just ½ hour west of the Cleggan coast. The Island Itself, is a haven of beauty, boasting magnificent scenery from cliff top walks to the sea on all sides to white sandy beaches and an abundance of rare flora and fauna.
How to get there : By passenger ferry only. Departs from Cleggan which is seven miles north of Clifden. Appox 40 min drive from Cashel House.
What to see:
Cromwells Barracks (17th century), Sheltered Sandy Beach and the ‘Stags’ Cliff.
St. Colmans Monastery (7th century)
St. Colmans Abbey (13th century ruin)
Coastal Promontory Forts from the Iron age.
Roundstone is one of the oldest fishing villages in Connemara. The village was built in the 1820’s by Scottish engineer Alexander Nimmo. who settled in Connemara. In Roundstone you will find a busy little harbour, where local fishermen prepare and return with the days catches of lobster, crayfish, crab and mackerel, plus a variety of other fish.
Roundstone is situated in the heart of Connemara, on the west coast, an area of great natural beauty, as well as being the birth place and inspiration for many artists. It has also been described many times as a “botanists delight” as many wild flowers, rare to this country, are found in the area known as Errisbeg which rises almost to a 1,000 ft (west of the village).
Roundstone nestles amongst the twelve Pins and is bordered by the vast Atlantic ocean. Dogs Bay and Gurteen Beach, set back and filled with the clearest Atlantic water can be enjoyed in this area (2 miles from Roundstone.) Not only can the beaches be enjoyed from the swimmers and other aquatic water sports point of view, but to those that are interested, the sand is pure white, as it is not formed of quartz grain but of shells exclusively.
In the village itself, there are lots of pubs with traditional music most evenings, and of course some excellent restaurants. For the young who like to indulge in sport, Roundstone offers tennis courts, basket ball, badminton and a football pitch.
Kylemore Abbey & Gardens
Kylemore Abbey, built in 1868, is one of the great baronial style castles remaining in Ireland and its six acre Victorian walled garden, created by Mitchel Henry in tandem with the building of Kylemore Castle (now Kylemore Abbey) is one of Ireland’s finest gardens.
In 1920, the castle was turned into an abbey when it was purchased by the Irish Benedictine nuns. Visitors to the three reception rooms in the abbey are touched by its history, steeped in romance and tragedy. The community of nuns re-opened their international boarding school here and also established a day school for local girls.
Visitors are also welcome to visit the recently restored neo-Gothic church (circa 1871), mausoleum and restaurant. The craft shop features the work of well known Irish makers of pottery, jewellery, knitwear and much more.
The complimentary shuttle bus will take visitors to the restored Victorian walled garden. With two distinct areas, the kitchen garden and the flower garden, the garden is completely enclosed by a brick and limestone wall and won the prestigious Europa Nostra Award for gardens in 2000. Two of the 21 original glasshouses have been restored. The restored head gardener’s house and workmens bothy are also open to visitors. The garden visit is a must for both garden enthusiasts and non gardeners alike.
Telephone: +353 (0)95 41 146
Fax: +353 (0)95 41 440